SUGARCANE UPDATE : a real thirst quencher!.
I find the greatest relief in Sugarcane juice with Lime (or Lemon) which helps to replenish the minerals you have lost by sweating.
It will give you instant energy, is alkaline, boosts protein levels, helps to maintain liver and kidney health.
Sugarcane also rehydrates the skin, fights acne, reduces blemishes and prevents ageing.
Due to its low Glycemic index, abundant Phosphorus, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium and Potassium, Sugarcane is alkalizing, and therefore great to fight cancer.
Don't just focus on the word "sugar"...
You are probably already taking many unhealthy foods and drinks like alcohol and soft drinks which have a lot of bad sugars...
Sugarcane juice is absolutely delicious and one of the many blessings provided by the Earth.
See below for more details about the wide Benefits of sugarcane juice which I dilute with lots of water and some lime...
Even though cane juice tastes very sweet and has high sugar content, it is good for diabetic patients. It contains natural sugar which has low glycemic index that prevents the steep rise in blood glucose levels of diabetics, so it can act as a great substitute for carbonated soft drinks. Drink the juice as soon it is extracted because it oxidizes after 15 min.
One or 2 glasses per day should be enough, na?
1. INSTANT ENERGY : the reason sugarcane is a popular drink during summers because it gives an instant energy kick and quenches thirst. Sugarcane juice is a good source of glucose which re-hydrates the body and gives it an energy boost. Nowadays, people are addicted to colas and aerated drinks, but sugarcane juice is better. So instead of your artificial energy drink, next time you feel tired or dehydrated, consider drinking a glass of sugarcane juice
2. DECREASED CHANCE OF DIABETES : Raw sugarcane is better for diabetics as compared to refined table sugar, which usually produces blood sugar and insulin fluctuations.
Sugarcane molasses have a LOWER glycemic index (measurement of how fast glucose and carbohydrates metabolize). Such foods need much less insulin production and support blood sugar. Because less lipids or even fats exist in the blood, it may reduce diabetes.
Low glycemic foods prevent those steep rises in blood glucose of diabetics. But Type-2 diabetes patients should still consume it in moderation and after consulting their doctors.
A study showed that drinking sugarcane juice did not alter the blood glucose levels of diabetics drastically.
3. ALKALINE : sugarcane juice is an alkaline forming food because of its high concentration of Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Iron and Manganese. Cancer cannot survive in an alkaline environment. Studies show that it effectively fights cancer, especially prostate and breast cancer.
4. PROTEIN : as sugarcane juice boosts protein levels, it helps to maintain kidney health. Taken in a diluted form, with lime juice and coconut water, sugarcane juice helps to reduce the burning sensation of urinary tract infections, sexually transmitted diseases, kidney stones and prostatitis.
5. LIVER HEALTH and Immunity : its antioxidants help to fight infections and boost the immunity system.
According to Ayurveda it also strengthens your liver, protects it against infections and help control bilirubin levels in. This is why doctors advice jaundice patients to drink sugarcane juice, as it is digested without much pressure on the liver. Jaundice is a condition where you find yellow pigmentation of the skin and membrane due to elevated levels of bilirubin triggered by poorly functioning liver and blocked bile ducts. Sugarcane juice replenishes your body with proteins lost and with the nutrients for quick recovery. Sugarcane juice also prevents jaundice. To speed up recuperation, have 2 glasses of fresh sugarcane juice with lime and salt.
6. DIGESTION : Sugarcane juice helps digestion due to the presence of potassium. It prevents stomach infections and is useful to treat constipation. Ayurveda suggests that 'sugarcane juice is a laxative (Source: ayurhelp.com). Sugarcane juice also is alkaline which means it's good to treat stomach acidity and burns.
7. TOOTH DECAY + BAD BREATH : Studies show that sugarcane juice protects against tooth decay and bad breath due to its high mineral content. Drink a glass of fresh sugarcane juice to get shiny white teeth.
8. NAILS : Deficiency of body nutrients can be seen from your nails. If you have brittle discolored nails with white spots, drink sugarcane juice. It contains everything for strong shiny nails that look pretty even without a nail polish.
9. FEVER : Sugarcane juice is great for fevers, which can lead to seizures and loss of protein, quite common in infants and children. Sugarcane juice compensates the lost protein and helps in recovery.
10. SKIN : alpha hydroxy acids benefit healthy skin, fight acne, reduce blemishes, prevent ageing and hydrate the skin. One of the most effective alpha hydroxy acids is GLYCOLIC ACID and sugarcane is one of its few natural sources. Just apply sugarcane juice on your skin and let it dry or add it to your favourite face mask or scrub. Do it regularly.
WOUND HEALING : PlantCultures.org notices that sugarcane juice ingredients help wound recovery and support the immune system.
11. KIDNEY STONES : A medical problem referred to as renal colic (pain due to kidney stones) can be treated by ingesting sugarcane juice frequently. As it is a natural diuretic, it helps to remove the stones but also nourishes the urinary system, helps treat urinary tract infections and proper kidney functioning.
12. DECREASE URINARY PROBLEMS: Frequent sugarcane drinking relieves anuria and dysuria (unpleasant or even no urination) effortlessly. It keeps the urinary flow clear. Additionally it is useful for burning up micturation because of higher acidity, gonorrhea, enflamed prostate, cystitis and nephritis. For better results, combine with lime juice, ginger juice as well as coconut water.
13. MINERALS AND GOOD CARBOHYDRATES : sugarcane juice is rich in good carbohydrates, protein, iron, potassium and other essential nutrients that make it the ideal energy drinks. Especially in the summer, have a glass of sugarcane juice for both your health and your depleting energy levels. It builds up plasma and body fluids and helps counter dryness and fatigue. Sugarcane juice is very rich in minerals which helps prevent tooth decay and bad breath.
14. COMMON COLD AND FLU: sugarcane juice helps reduce an aching throat and is an excellent precaution for cold/ flu.
15. ORGAN STRENGTH : Sugarcane supplies energy to the body’s most significant internal organs : the heart, kidneys, brain, liver and the eyes.
15. DELAY AGING: old Indian texts state that if you frequently drink sugarcane juice, you can conquer aging. Current studies confirm that sugarcane juice is packed with many anti-oxidants which delay the aging process, keep the person young and lively for a long time.
16. WEIGHT MAINTENANCE : its lower glycemic index and energy helps to maintain metabolic health and weight.
17. EYE PROBLEMS : such as cataract, conjunctivitis, eye-strain and flawed vision, apply the dew of the sugarcane leaves early morning in the eyes for optimal advantages.
Nutritional value of Sugarcane: The juice Sugarcane per serving (28.35 grams) contain Energy-111.13 kJ (26.56 kcal), Carbohydrates-27.51 g, Protein-0.27 g, Calcium11.23 mg (1%), Iron 0.37 mg (3%), Potassium41.96 mg (1%), Sodium17.01 mg (1%) (Farmer.gov.in)
Sugarcane is one of the main crops to make sugar: 70% of the world's sugar is made from sugarcane.
The remaining 30% comes from sugar beets.
Source: timescaribbeanonline Sep 28, 2015
Other sources are : Health Benefits of Sugarcane Juice: A Promise of Good Health Kriti Malik, NDTV | Updated: August 23, 2018